19 April 2010

Good kids/bad kids

Or maybe it should be good parents/bad parents...Did you ever get the feeling that despite your best efforts you are a bad parent? Or sometimes wonder, "why did I end up with such a bad kid?" I do. I don't know if this comes from the accurate diagnosis that I am a bad parent, or if I truly have a bad kid, though I tend to think neither of these is really true. I am beginning to think that (except in certain truly exceptional cases) most of us aren't "bad" parents, and most of our kids aren't "bad" kids. I think we are just doing the best job we can with the resources we have - and sometimes we mess up.
What led to this today? Jay had one of his "bad" days - days when it is a struggle just to write a few words or (God forbid) sentences. Days when it is like pulling teeth to get him to participate in his own learning. Days when I wonder if we are doing the right thing trying to keep him out of government run schools. Do we expect too much? Do we incorrectly assume he knows things that he doesn't know? I don't know, honestly. I think his problem is lack of "want to" rather than lack of knowledge, but what if I am making a mistake?
I guess the point of today's post is to remind everyone to try to be a bit more understanding. Everyone around you is going through something difficult. Maybe a bad home school day is not much in the grand scheme of things, but right now it feels pretty big. I *know* it will be better in hindsight, but right now it feels pretty bad.
Thanks for reading,
CP

No comments: